Working as a Waiter/Server is not as bad as you think!

If you are working as a waiter or server is not as bad as you think. Every job as it's perks, I agree it is the lowest paid job in society, but it is not an unskilled job. In reality, you are the first person the customer encounters and you are the first person to give gastronomic experience to the customers. 

Yes, you are part of the experience along with chefs who prepared. The integral part of the overall customer experience. Chefs are working back of the house, you are working in front of the house. Your attitude, your behaviour, your clothes the way you walk, everything counts and customers are watching you at all times.

I have worked as a food and beverage attendant. Some days shifts are very long and tiring. You need to stand for hours and hours. Staffs break are at very odd hours. But I still loved my work for many reasons.
Firstly, I make people's day:
Whether I am working front of the house at the bar or behind the scene setting up for the event, washing dishes or helping the chefs or even if I am involved in the management of hospitality business, every time I am come to work I am making someone’s day a little bit better. After all, this business is all about people. It’s not about being on the spreadsheets or developing web apps, it’s about making people happy.

It's a creative industry: 
Although the industry is people-oriented, hospitality is creative. We are creating a product and many times an intangible product- Experience and there is always a scope to for new ways of making it more enjoyable to the customers.

It's an open door to the world:
No matter where I go in any part of the world, there is hospitality industry, and the skills that I am learning in AUT University are readily transferrable, meaning that a career in the hospitality industry can very easily be the key to discovering new countries, culture and people.

It's is not the 9 to 5 job:
I am not that sort of person who likes getting up at the same time each morning, having the breakfast, putting on the suit and tie and then heading to the bus stop catching the same bus to the office, day after day. I love getting up at any time of the day, sometimes early in the morning or sometimes in the afternoon for late night shifts, it’s a great deal of variety not only in hours I work but also in the work I do in those hours.

Great Perks:
If you are working in the office, then the perks don’t go further than a Christmas Party, with drinks, food and DJs. In the Hospitality Industry things are different, After all, we are here to help our customers have fun. One of the perks of working in this industry is the great work environment, and sometimes you may be able to interact with celebrities or famous politicians that come into the event. If I am working in a hotel or resort, the added bonus is being able to interact with people from all parts of the world.

Great Atmosphere:
Hospitality Industry has some of the most vibrant, lively and fun people you’ll ever meet. Although sometimes things might be stressed out, especially during serving of meals, as we need to deliver the meals on time, pressure will be high but it’s not always like that, many times I enjoy looking after the needs of my guests, keeping them happy as I mention in my first point, I make people’s day.

Lastly, it’s a safe bet, People always need food and drinks and somewhere to sleep when they go on a holiday, and so even if the economy is bad like 2008 Recession, the hospitality industry is relatively secured. Although I am currently working on a casual basis, I am hoping to find a permanent position in the hospitality industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment